Sunday, October 28, 2012

San Blas Islands, Panama

The San Blas Islands were unlike anything I’ve ever seen. They are straight out of National Geographic. All of the Kuna people sell their art and jewelry outside of the little huts they live in. They also demand $1 if you want to take pictures of them. We joked that I would do well living there and demanding money from people to take my picture. One really cool part of the day was the visit we paid to the Kuna museum. A man told us all about their culture which is based on spirituality. We learned that the hammock is to them what something like the flag is to Americans. They are born in hammocks, married in hammocks and buried in hammocks. I really hoped to canoe around the islands, but we had a limited amount of time. I am having fun and becoming more settled into my new life. I am living inside a postcard.





No comments:

Post a Comment