Monday, January 7, 2013

Punta Arenas, Chile

I usually stay on the ship every time we are in Punta Arenas, Chile. It seems to always be super cold and windy. This time I was able to go on an excursion to see the sights of Punta Arenas. Our guide told us that Punta Arenas can have all four seasons occur in one day. It seriously alternated between warm and sunny and rainy and cloudy all day. We visited two interesting museums displaying the history and culture of the people of Punta Arenas, went to a neat cemetery and then shopped for a bit in the town square. To be honest, I signed up for this tour because I have a strange fascination with cemeteries. Cementerio Municipal has some of the most beautiful mausoleums surrounded by crazy trees that look like they are straight out of Mario for N64. Awesome. The picture of the statue was taken in the town square. If you rub the toe of the man that’s just sitting there chilling, it will supposedly bring you good luck. Weird… but I hope it works! Also in the square was a government building covered in paint from a recent protest. I think it gives the building character : )

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment